The power of the Internet puts marketing opportunities in the hands of anyone with an online connection. People and organizations in small towns like Houston, Indiana have a shot at fame in the cyber world. Social media is a perfect way for spreading the word about your business, non-profit organization, or even your pet. Some may find themselves enjoying the extraordinary success of viral marketing, when the popularity of their message is communicated like wildfire.
Is it simply good luck that offers some exceptional marketing opportunities, or can initiatives be taken to help achieve this high level of success? I searched for thoughts about this question from my favorite online marketing expert, Jayson DeMers. Listed below are links to three articles I found especially helpful.
- How to Harness Virality to Blow Up Your Events
- How Not to Go Viral: 4 Viral Marketing Fails
- The Facts and Fiction of “Going Viral” With Content
Top five characteristics of a viral marketing campaign
My take-away from reading these articles is there definitely are some factors that can increase the odds for viral marketing. Five ways you can help your campaign extensively are summarized below.
- Effectively communicating content that is based on the needs of the audience.
- Providing value for the audience, such as helpful information or entertainment.
- Inspiring emotion, such as heartwarming fun or compassion.
- Offering visual appeal to the viewers.
- Getting people’s attention with something fun & special.
Many viral marketing stories involve pets. Photos of cute critters grab attention with both visual and emotional appeal and offer the chance to provide knowledge in a fun way. Sparking interest with a special animal photo or story on social media can lead to a viral marketing extravaganza.
A lady working as a waitress found good fortune thanks to the popularity of her cat in the online world. A post of her furry friend on Reddit resulted in a marketing goldmine for Tabatha Bundesen. Now with a registered trademark, Grumpy Cat, this kitty has quite a brand established. Elements of viral marketing discussed above can be seen in the success story of Grumpy Cat.
- Humorous content was provided via social media that people appreciated. Posting a unique cat picture generated extraordinary interest. Strategies to capitalize on that trend for marketing opportunities were swiftly & consistently employed. Current online presence includes: Website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
- This feline provided humorous entertainment to the point of overnight success.
- Photos of this kitty with the appearance of a permanent scowl pulled at people’s heartstrings and funny bone.
- Pictures and videos of this unique kitty in various situations that relate to a grumpy attitude offer people comic relief.
- People’s attention was grabbed in many online channels and with various products. The marketing value of the grumpy attitude has been used for a movie deal, a kids book, and stuffed animals.
Grumpy Cat is serving as a representative for the Friskies cat food brand. Amusing videos sponsored by Friskies are providing fun & laughs. The wide range of social media buttons shown after a video ends helps viewers share what they find hilarious. Providing easy ways to keep content moving helps to continually promote the message about Grumpy Cat.
Another popular celebrity pet is a Pomeranian named Boo, known as the world’s cutest dog. His Facebook, with more than 16 million “likes” currently, demonstrates the social media and online marketing clout of this adorable little canine. His online presence also includes Twitter and Instagram. Similar to Grumpy Cat, Boo is a Gund Character.
Does the marketing campaign for a small business need to go viral for success?
Clearly, a marketing initiative that “goes viral” would be welcome, but that level of success is not necessary to accomplish the goals of an average business owner. There are small businesses in Nashville, Indiana that are using social media for marketing opportunities on a small scale. A dog named Stetson facilitates the marketing at Touch of Silver and Old. A studio cat named Ms. Sassy is mentioned with photos in the Facebook for Amy Greely Jewelry Studio. Tips that help with viral marketing can be very beneficial for any organization. Social media is a fantastic channel to help spread the word about the value you offer to your target market. Success can draw in more customers and sales, even without reaching viral marketing extremes. However, wise social media strategy for any marketing effort could quickly succeed to viral levels.